Acai – best known as that word half the population mumble just in case of getting the pronunciation wrong… (or am I just a slow learner?!)
Also known for being a superfood with a huge array of benefits!
Acai berries are little berries grown on acai palm trees native to South America. Their taste is a cross between blackberries & unprocessed chocolate (yum!!), and as they have a very short shelf life, you’ll generally find yourself consuming your Acai frozen or in powdered form.
But this little superfood packs a punch.
How? Let’s explore with 10 quick facts on Acai berries:
- They are loaded with antioxidants. As in, LOADED loaded. Acai berries are said to have more antioxidants than grapes, blueberries & cranberries, which have a huge array of benefits to the body.
- They are incredibly nutrient dense with a very different nutrient to most fruits – they are high in fat (the good stuff) and low in sugar.
- They contain a huge array of minerals, including chromium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus (lost you yet?!).
- They may improve cholesterol levels and contribute to heart health, including helping to improve blood circulation
- They can help to improve short & long term memory, and may help to protect your brain from damage as you age.
- They assist digestion due to having powerful detoxification properties.
- They help to promote healthy, glowing skin due to the range of fatty acids. Oh, and all of those antioxidants!
- They boost energy – including both assisting to increase stamina as well as helping to combat fatigue.
- They help to boost immunity (thanks to plant antioxidants such as Resveratrol and Ferulic Acid!)
- You still need to know more?! Ok, let’s just say they are PACKED with fibre, and we all know that’s always a great thing….!
Our suggestion on where to get your Acai fix? Power Superfoods Acai Powder.
Why? Because the Acai berries in Power Superfoods Acai Powder are freeze dried to retain maximum nutritional value. Not only that – the powder is certified organic, and is SUPER easy to add into your diet (for alllllll of the reasons previously mentioned!).
And just because we loved it, here’s the DELICIOUS recipe for the Pear, Peach & Acai Smoothie Bowl that lucky Spring Box subscribers received in their RY Wellness Magazine and heard about via their Spring Retreat Day Plan:
Pear, peach and acai smoothie bowl, by Power Superfoods
2 yellow peaches, stones removed and roughly chopped
1 ripe pear, seeds removed and roughly chopped
½ cup coconut water
3 teaspoons Power Super Foods Acai Powder
Blend peaches, pear, coconut water and acai together in a blender until smooth.
Pour into a shallow, wide bowl and top with your favourite toppings. We topped with fresh fruit, Power Super Foods Cacao Nibs and Chia Seeds.
You can read more about Power Superfoods on their website: www.powersuperfoods.com.au